Monday, June 23, 2014

Kitchen Updates

 In my original post about the kitchen, this wall was blank other than the small ledge on which the glasses sit. 

I was going to put up a huge mirror on that wall, but it felt odd to have the glasses sitting there alone.  And since I couldn't remove the ledge without damaging the lath and plaster walls, I decided to run with it and put all of my everyday dishes on this wall.   Because I knew the shelves would protrude over the stove a tad, I felt it would be safest (and cleanest) to stick with stainless steel.  You probably recognize these from Ikea.  

 The porthole mirror is from Ashley's etsy shop.   She recently posted her new listings on Pinterest, and about five minutes later, this mirror was mine!  (I am a sucker for round mirrors.)  You can see the 3M removable hook I used to hang the mirror peaking out from the top.  I find that's a good way to try things out without putting holes in the wall. 

This kitchen is now at risk of becoming theme-y, what with the whale print and one or two other nautical details.  So, I'm making a conscious decision to stop now.  :) 

Have you ever used dry wall screws?  I use them to hang absolutely everything -- the heads don't strip and while nails tend to crack the plaster walls, a drywall screw drives neatly through it without the need to pre-drill holes.  However, I do feel I need to get after those visible black screw heads with a silver paint pen.  And get that mirror properly hung on a drywall screw.... 


12 comments:

  1. Love it!! That mirror is gorgeous. I've always wanted one similar to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan, if you search etsy for porthole mirror, there is another exactly like it being sold by another seller.

      Delete
  2. I wish I would've had this blog when I had a tiny Oakland kitchen with no cabinets or counter space! Your kitchen is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. I'm managing to make-do with the lack of counter space and storage. If I can make it pretty, it's easier to tolerate the rest!

      Delete
  3. It looks so good Camille! That extra shelf looks like it was meant to be there and I love the convex mirror. So bright and fresh and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great additions to your pretty kitchen. Love the shelf and especially the mirror! I am in the middle of my own kitchen remodel right now...gonna be a long summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, I'll have to check it out! Not fun while it's happening, but I bet it will be so worth the effort in the end.

      Delete
  5. The new shelf looks great and I'm sure it freed up space somewhere else. I use drywall screw to hang all my artwork. I usually hit a piece of lath which tends to hold a lot more weight than a nail in old plaster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, I'm not the only with with millions of dry wall screws in my walls! I agree that the screws in the lath are really strong. I actually have shelves hung in my girls' closet with dry wall screws. The other day, I caught them climbing up the shelves and those shelves didn't budge.

      Delete
  6. I love love love your kitchen.
    Just perfect.

    thanks for the dry wall screw tip! I've just been pounding holes in my plaster!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your style so much.....the shelves are great. I am dying to take down my cabinets so badly but my husband is fighting me on it. I normally don't listen but he is home a lot more since he retired so he has more time to monitor my comings and goings:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything looks so good! Love that mirror! Happy to hear that osmocote worked for you, by the way :).

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading every comment.