Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Flaws

I came across this photo in my Pinterest feed not to long ago.  I was drawn to the room mostly because it has lots of contrast.  And white walls.  And my favorite natural fiber rug.  And while the room is beautiful and expertly decorated, it's missing something for me.  It feels too polished, too perfect for my taste.  Technically, it hits all the right notes in terms of balance, contrast, texture, scale, repetition, etc., but I'm not sure I'd feel at home in this room.

In my Pinterest feed, this photo was directly under the first one I showed you.  That juxtaposition really highlighted the difference between the two.  There is still lots of contrast, but the harshness is mellowed by warm midtones of the wooden dresser, which I think makes such a difference.  And there's really not much that's polished here -- the beaten up dresser kind of puts you at ease.  We get a story about the room too, don't we?  This is a boy's room.  One who likes fencing and skateboarding.  I much, much prefer this style of decorating and have noticed that I appreciate this lived in and collected look even more as time passes by.


15 comments:

  1. I could not agree more, Camille. I always say I don't care for "decorated" rooms. There needs to be a collected and unperfect look for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently, I don't care for "decorated" rooms either. This could be a new mantra. :)

      Delete
    2. I enjoy a lived in look as well. It gives a home soul and character. Plus they give a more realistic picture of how people really live.

      Delete
  2. I tried to find the source of that first photograph but I think it's one of those that's been lifted so many time, it would take a lot of work to find the original source. It's so stiff I was thinking it was from some real estate developer's or architect's website. Definitely not from a magazine.

    I agree there's some comfortable alure to the second room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stiff is a good way of putting it.

      Delete
  3. There is not a single "color" in the first photo, all monotones. There is something nice about a little bit of "real life" in decorating. Make me feel like it something achievable. I wouldn't ever be able to achieve anything like the first photo with my dog and partner living in the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good point about color. As you know, I'm a lover of neutrals, but I do believe it can be taken to far.

      Delete
  4. I seriously think I shuddered when I looked at that first room--seriously COLD! Definitely needs some warm wood tones. I sure can relate to the second pic...boys room?? Yep, I totally get that;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree, Camille! There is so much texture in the second photo - layered rugs, paneling, vintage dresser, metal chair, etc that you don't find in the first photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first room hasn't a personality, feels too cold for me.
    betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you. I like a room with some "flaws" and lots of personality. I like your style, Camille. I like a lot of what you pin on Pinterest too.
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  8. I usually don't mind bare branches like they've shown in the first photo, but that room needs some life - some real flowers, not just branches. A few other things that could change the look of the first photo - a different mirror, different light fixture, different pillows. I don't mind the rug or the coffee table.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree. I'd really rather my rooms have personality rather than looking like a sterile room in a catalog. Nice post! xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like to see the occupants personality reflected in rooms rather than the all-too-perfect showroom. All neutral colors bother me too. Use of colors make a room more inviting to me. I always ask--would I enjoy sitting in this room with friends?

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading every comment.