Monday, November 25, 2013

Our First House


I've always been a huge fan of Spanish Mediterranean/Spanish Revival houses -- and California is particularly chock full of them.  Our new house, like many in the Bay Area, was built in the 20s and combines some Spanish features, like the parapet walls and arched entryway, with a Craftsman layout and interior detailing. 

(For safety, this real estate drawing is as much as I'll ever show of the exterior of our house.)

Here are some of my favorite features in our new, old house.  Hope you'll excuse my poor quality iphone photos. 
Our front French door is original to the house.   Normally, having a front door one can see through might bother me in terms of privacy, but it looks onto an entry wall with a built-in arched niche.

I can't wait to decide what goes in the niche, but I imagine I'll change it, much like a mantel, with the seasons and holidays.


From the entry, you turn left into the living room.  The French doors on the right lead to the dining room.   I'm a sucker for French doors.    


In the dining room is this beautiful built-in sideboard which an arched niche above it.  Through the open door (the old-fashioned two-way swing kind) you can see a bit of the old-school kitchen and the door that leads to the utility room and garage.

In this staged real estate photo, you can see another of my favorite house features, the Craftsman built-in cabinets on the left wall.  The drawers don't pull smoothly and the whole thing is fairly shallow, but I'll never, ever get rid of this built-in.  If you are wondering what the dead space is between the two upper cabinets, it is the back wall of the niche in the entry.

The rest of the kitchen was put in later, and while I don't love it, especially the tiled counters, it is definitely something I can live with for awhile.  It will be fun to work with what I have.  Will show more photos of that space later. 


I took this photo for two reasons.  The first is to show you our only (tiny) bathroom with its vintage hex tile floor.  And the other is to show you the linen closet door on the left.  It is one of only three closets in the entire house and they are all severely lacking.  On another note, see the glass door handle on the linen closet?  Every door on the house has them, and I think they're absolutely divine.

I took this last photo from one of the two bedrooms because I think it does a good job of showing the abundance of light in the house.  Would you believe I took this photo on a dreary, rainy day?

I hope this post illustrates why I fell in love with the house.  At a mere 1012 square feet (for our family of four!), it will definitely have its challenges and I'll show some of those in upcoming posts -- wait until you see the closets.  But in my mind, all the charming features (and the neighborhood and great schools) make up for what's lacking.  And, I'm actually really looking forward to the challenge of small space planning! 

We move next Monday. Wish us luck.

To those of you in the U.S., hope you have a nice Thanksgiving holiday! See you on the other side of Black Friday. 




24 comments:

  1. How exciting. Congratulations on your first home. It looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations! can't wait to see what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay...wait a sec...either I totally missed something or I'm not getting your blog posts in my feed any more, 'cause this is all new news to me! I was just thinking about you the other day thinking, "Man, I miss Camille's posts." Now I gotta go back and see how much I've missed! Love the house. Love the details. Love that YOU love all the little quirks. Cause so do I. Can.not.wait. to see what you do with it. Happy Thanksgiving, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. camille - im so excited for you!!!!!! this is so beautiful. we live in a 1008 sq. ft cottage, and just recently, we've felt we were busting at the seams. but it sure is cozy and lovable! goodluck to you! oh - ps - soap on the drawers that dont open so good - just take a bar and run it along the outsides of the drawers that meet the tracks on the inside of the cabinet. works like a charm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy for you!! And your new home is lovely. I love all the features you mention, absolutely love the door handles, french doors and I too would never remove those cupboards in the kitchen. They add such character. You cannot buy that kind of character.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wahoo! It was all worth the wait as I love your new home. And I have no doubt that you are going to give it the love and attention it deserves while maintaing its integrity. And as someone who lives in a small two bedroom, one bath house with a family of four I will tell you that it is totally doable. And I love that we use every inch of our home. It lives large no matter what the size. Happy moving!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's got some really cool details. Each time I look at it, I'm loving it more and more. That built-in in the kitchen is really great. I feel you need some beautiful pottery in that horizontal niche. I take it it's kind of a split level. Is there storage under the living room level?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your new home! Look forward to seeing all the wonderful touches you will add:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! The house is gorgeous and filled with so much character. I cannot wait to see what you do!

    Angela @ Number Fifty-Three

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing more... it looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats...so exciting! Absolutely LOVE those hardwood floors...and all the unique details. Looking forward to seeing how you make this house your new and beautiful home!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG Camille!!! How wonderful!! Congratulations. I have no idea how I missed the fact that you bought a house but man am I super excited for you! It's absolutely beautiful and I can't wait to see how you make it your own. My dream
    home is an early 1900s California craftsman bungalow. With their humble interiors and handcrafted details they were built during a time when I life was about living simply. I've been obsessed with them since I first moved to the West coast. I just KNOW your new home is going to be amazing! So happy for you and your family;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh and I loooove small space design so I can't wait for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely see why you fell in love with it Camille! So much beautiful detail and the light is wonderful! Not to mention you got your spanish bungalow. Please let me know how I can help you guys move in. And congratulations again for getting into this insane market.... :)

    Can't wait to see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  15. As I told you before, I absolutely love the built-ins and the french doors. It is obvious why you fell in love with this house. It was waiting for you...I firmly believe that. There's so much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving, and I hope you enjoy your beautiful new home!

    Happy Thanksgiving, my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This item is very beautiful and heart touching,Here is a link that I think you will find interesting. Thanks for this wonderful post and hoping to post more of this.Spanish Pottery like tabletop, kitchen, decorative and garden pieces to customers, retailers and wholesalers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. HOORAY! So excited for you guys, and can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Huh, I thought I left a comment but I don't see it ... anyway, congratulations!! What an exciting purchase. It looks like an awesome house. I love the built-in in the kitchen and I love that you would never change that feature. The floors are beautiful, and the bathroom floor is totally cool. I can't wait to see how you put your personal touches on this house. Keep us posted!
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations!!! So excited for you guys. Hope the move went well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations!!! So excited for you guys. Hope the move went well.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this home. Beautiful and simple, love the touch of black to all the whiteness. Think the brick wall in the garden area adds the perfect amount of textural interest.Thanks for sharing.House design

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the vintage hex floor. Bright and cheery it looks to be from the bedrooms. St. Augustine florida and the old neighborhood where my husband grew up in Florida has some beauties such as your home. I love the style. My daughter had a home in Big Rock Tennessee that was built in the very early 50's . You could look through the pane in the front door down a wide foyer to a niche, it was a place where the telephone was attached in those days, so she kept hers there too.
    I enjoyed your post
    betsy

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can totally see why you fell in love with this charming house! So many great original details! So happy for you....and especially in this crazy real estate market. I went through the same thing last year here in LA. I thought I'd never find a place, but I finally did. I know how grateful you feel when you finally find a nice place in a good area in your price range...it's almost like a miracle these days. Congratulations and may you have many years of happy memories in your new home!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading every comment.