Friday, August 2, 2013

$15 Ikea Shelf


I recently added this $15 Ikea galvanized shelf to this awkward space next the fridge in our kitchen.  I
I've had my eye on them for a while now, and because they've been out-of-stock at our local Ikea, I stopped at another on our way home from vacation and purchased two.  How can you not at that price?

This space used to be a dumping ground for my girls' and my jackets, shoes, etc. And it always looked a mess.

Here's the before and after.


The set of shelves are a lot shorter than I expected them to be.  Thankfully, I had this mirror that I made from a cabinet door which I had removed to make an open shelf look when I painted the kitchen.



The mirror used to reside here in order to bounce light from the window you see in the above pic.


 And even though it did reflect the light, I always felt it was a tad tall for this spot. 

Anyway, I think it looks way better above the set of shelves.  And helps bring the eye up to the cabinets above the fridge. 
And the mirror still reflects light from the laundry room window which is where I was standing as I took the picture.  Now I've got space to store some cookbooks, the mineral water we buy by the case, and I've freed up one cabinet full of pots and pans along with some counter space for my rarely used mixer.   

I quite like this utilitarian set of shelves. 


Here they are styled for an Ikea shot. 

And they keep popping up in other other places too.


They add a nice nice industrial edge, don't you think?  Their one draw back is that they are a tad wobbly and do need to be fixed to the wall.  But at fifteen dollars a pop, I'm not going to complain.


click photos for sources

18 comments:

  1. What a great way to use that small space. It looks great with all your kitchen things on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great use of a small space. And, despite the wait, you tracked down a really attractive and useful piece from Ikea. Well worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And if I ever get sick of it, it can be moved the garage!

      Delete
  3. They are great- I want some now! Perfect for kids rooms too. I think your space looks so good with it and your other styling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, the other one I bought went into my girls room where it adds extra storage for toys!

      Delete
  4. You always have such a great knack for styling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great, and I love the kitchen cabinets painted too! Do you know I've never been to an Ikea? There's one a little more than an hour's drive from my home. I should take a trip there one day. I'm very curious ... but I really don't need anything more in my house.
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it, and love the mirrors in your kitchen! A girl after my own heart! Hope all is well.
    xo nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great ideas! I love the mirror too. I cannot ever find enough space in my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it love it Camille. It's like it was meant for that space. It gives your kitchen that cobbled together look you love so much. Casual yet purposeful:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are so neat, I have a $20.00 gift card to Ikea, I do think I'd like the shelves a lot! Love how you styled them too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. God bless IKEA and their genius ideas. :) They look great and you are so good at styling my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving that shelf idea....you can take a 15.00 shelf and make it look like a million bucks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely love. For $15, it looks SO pretty and expensive thanks to your styling. The mirror is the perfect compliment--love how it balances everything out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks so great!!! When we lived in Paris 10 years ago, our whole kitchen was from IKEA...I had open shelving for all the plates. I loved that. You will have to see our new kitchen in SF. Even though it's a rental, we painted the kitchen cabinets...its better. Not like ours in Newport...but it has a view of the GG bridge :) I have copper on display in mine, too.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading every comment.