Monday, January 7, 2013

When it works, repeat.



When I spotted this photo on Pinterest the other day, I knew immediately who had designed the space, even before I read February's issue of House Beautiful.


Peter Dunham, of course.

Not only am I a big fan, he also designed one of my favorite dining rooms ever:



Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this second picture is from Dunham's own house.  If I remember, he picked up those chairs at an estate sale.  They are slightly different than the those in the first photo, and as I know Peter Dunham has his own line of furniture, I'm wondering if they are not reproductions?

Anyway, note also the use of the tufted, olive banquette.  In the HB article, which I pored over, Dunham says he used outdoor fabric to upholster it.  He added that when you tuft any kind of fabric, it automatically elevates the look.  Hmmm.  Food for thought.

If you have the newest issue of HB, get it out.  You'll see other little repeats from his own dining room in the new article.  

So yeah, when it works, repeat. 

11 comments:

  1. If I could, I would have moved into the house featured in HB. And, yes, I think PD has a line of furniture through his showroom and the chairs in his dining room are recreated for his own line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley, I checked it out on his website, and you are right! I agree, I'll just move right on in with you! :)

      Delete
  2. i've been following your site for a while and am so excited to actually join it! this dining room set is gorgeous! love the overkill on the hanging pictures. sometimes too many and hanging at different heights looks fantastic and unique!

    I hope you stop by and join my blog too :) cheers to blog friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smarty-pants! I didn't identify it with Peter Dunham on my first flip-through, but when I started reading the article, I thought "duh, of course!" There is no limit to the awesomeness of his spaces.

    ps. I just noticed that the swing arm lamps are even the same style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has not a thing to do with being smart. I think I might have some kind of photographic memory for rooms -- and I can tell you it is not the least bit useful as a skill. ;)

      Delete
  4. If it ain't broke don't fix it! BTW,just read about your new shop. Best wishes for a successful open - looks like an ideal setting for you!

    www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Camille, so cool! Love it that he isn't afraid to duplicate the same look more than once. BTW, I just helped a friend pick a sofa that has tufting and in person tufting is really a show stopper!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have really started noticing Peter Dunham's work more now because of you. Both of these dining rooms are beautiful--those chairs are amazing! Thanks so much for sharing the results of your keen eye.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I often think about reusing tried and true favorites, and those chairs are a perfect example of it. Speaking of the latest HB issue, I kept meaning to ask you...did you think there was something different about the angle of the cover photo? I think it looks very much like the HB European edition, but something about the angle just looks different - maybe it's because it is actually on an angle and most of the cover shots are a straight on view? Let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, you're right, Holly! I can't put my finger on why the cover is different, but it does feel very European somehow. Maybe because there is so much going on in the room (has a very English feel), and there's not as much negative space as you'd normally get in a cover shot? I'm going to have to think on this more.

      Delete
  8. Wow Camille, good eye! And that is great advice.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading every comment.