Monday, December 10, 2012

Round Dining as Side Table



It all started with this photo of designer Kelly McGuill's home, which was recently published Yankee Magazine. When I saw this photo for the first time, I had just finished reading some interior design rules about side table and lamp height.  Kelly ignored and/or broke those rules when she put this pedestal dining-sized table and overscale lamp next to her sofa.
(I am ga-ga for this neutral living room and feel the same way about her entire house.  Click photo to see more on her blog O so D.)




And then I started to notice dining-sized round tables being used as side tables in all kinds of interiors. 








Source:  Cottage Style Fall/Winter 2012

Source:  Cottage Style Fall/Winter 2012

They are a great way to fill space in a large room or corner, and look especially nice next to a sofa.

I had never considered using a round dining table as a side table until I saw that first photo.  Had you?

**Click photos for sources, unless otherwise noted.

11 comments:

  1. Love seeing more images of this great idea. Here's the table that's inspiring the piece I'm currently working on. I found something in a similar shape on the side of the road and am restoring the top and painting the bottom to use in our family room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops...here's the link! http://pinterest.com/pin/120682464985899956/

      Delete
  2. It was surreal to open your post and see that photo of Kelly's. I sat in the very spot where that photo was taken. I forgot to warn Kelly that you've been stalking her. I'm planning to quit my job and be her apprentice.

    You also picked one of one favorite shots from that place in the Cottage Style! I love that place!

    Cool collection of photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would consider using a round table like this - I really like the look a lot. Not only are you getting a decent amount of horizontal space, but also filling up some negative space like you said - win/win. And cheers for breaking the rules!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alas, I'll never have a room big enough to use a round dining table as an end table...but I'm okay with that;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that first photo and think the scale is perfect. The table gives that lamp the height to stand up against the big artwork. I'm all about breaking the rules! I have a great round side table that floats from room to room. It really is great but you do need the space as they are space hogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom uses these in her living room and has for 40 years--she has 2, one each next to a flame stitched wingback. I used to think it was stodgy but now of course, I love it! I love a pedestal table like this too because of the lack of visual space it occupies...

    Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these! We had a round dining table as a side table for a while, now it's relegated to the under-the-tv area, but I love the look, the extra-big scale, and the convenience of the height:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The extra surface area and height that these larger tables pairs really well, I think, with the smaller side tables that we all have. I especially love a good round table in a corner, like a lot of the pics you've included. Here's to breaking the rules of scale!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Camille, I love this look! I want a huge round pedestal table covered with framed photographs! I think Kate Spade's home has a table like this covered with photos! If I had the space, I wouldn't mind this covered with potted plants too!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lately, I've found in doing floor plans that a round dining-style table can be the best fit for these big corners. They're a great solution and look generous and welcoming in real life!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading every comment.