Thursday, October 11, 2012

DIY Inlay Foot Stool

Here's the newest little addition to our house. 

It's a DIY Indian inlay foot stool painted using a stencil kit. 




  Here's what it looked like before.  I used Annie Sloan Graphite for the base and cream colored craft paint for the stencil.  The top got recovered in burlap, because I figure that's the most durable finish I can find for a foot stool. 


 The foot stool was really a practice run for a gigantic vintage mirror I'm painting for my business, Claremont Finders Keepers.  If you look closely, you'll see a few smudges and places where I ran one stenciled area over the other.  I don't mind these small imperfections on my own pieces, but for the business, I want my work to be really good.   And this really was a great way to learn how to paint with a stencil and work out all the kinks since I had never painted with one before.  


 Here is the stencil I used from Cutting Edge Stencils.  It comes in five different pieces so you can mix and match to create your own design.  Fun, and kind of addictive.  I'm about half way done with the mirror and will be sure to show pictures when it is finished -- which will be before our next booth at the Alameda Point Antiques Fair on November 4th.  If the mirror sells, I think I'll try my hand at a small chest next.  Perhaps something like this:
Wisteria


Thanks Charmaine, for bringing this to my attention!



Cottage & Vine

18 comments:

  1. OK, what do I need to trade you to make one for me? Or better yet, paint me a vanity for the bathroom! Hmmmm, if I managed to block print the walls, maybe I could do this too. Can't wait to see how the mirror comes out. The stool is just fab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do I have to do to get a chest stenciled by Camille? Your footstool looks phenomenal. My favorite DIY as of late!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! It looks great! The mirror is going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stencilling is one thing I have absolutely no desire to do. That chest is pretty cool and your little stool is very charming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sure prefer your stenciling to the authentic camel bone inlay--that gives me the creeps even if it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fantastic Camille! I want to do it now!!! Your stool is adorable, and love the burlap.
    Have a great weekend sweetie!
    xo Nancy
    Powellbrowerhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so great! Love how it turned out, and the juxtaposition of the burlap with the delicate stencil. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this stool! It's a knock out. What a fun project.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job Camille! It looks like you bought just like that and a durable fabric on top - this will last you a long time and make someone quite happy who needs to rest their feet. I just used ASCP for the first time this past weekend and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that little piece! Amazing what a difference stencils can make... kudos, Camille!
    xo Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing! It looks really authentic! I love that you used burlap to let the design take center stage. Thanks so much for joining "The After Party" Camille!

    René

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! I didn't know Cutting Edge made a stencil like this. I'm dying to get my hands on one now. Can't wait to see your mirror!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am dying over that little stool! I can't believe how much it looks like the real thing. Also I absolutely cannot wait to see that mirror--that is going to be the highlight of our booth!

    -Lane

    ReplyDelete

  14. I'd like to invite you to join me at the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week! http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/11/clever-chicks-blog-hop-8-and-rural.html

    I hope to see you there!
    Cheers!
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading every comment.