Friday, August 17, 2012

Putting Pinterest to the Test: DIY Brass Ring Pulls


While searching for brass ring pulls on Pinterest, I came across this tutorial:

Sarah M. Dorsey Designs

I was looking for hardware to dresser up plain Ikea Malm chests of drawers belonging to the little girls whose room I'm designing.  But at six or more dollars a pop for the store-bought variety, the cost was quickly adding up to what the dresser was worth! 

Which is why I was so glad to see this brilliant DIY version which came from Sarah M. Dorsey Designs.  Of course, I had to put it to the test in my own house before bringing it into the girls' room, so I'm going to take you through each step so you can see how it's done.

Old knob:

Obviously, it had problems.  Also, please excuse my iphone pics for this post.  (My camera battery was dead.)

Materials:
You can get all of these from Ace Hardware.  Ask for a brass ring, a brass cotter pin, and these:

Brass washers, which come in a bag like this. 

Step 1

Pry open the cotter pin and snap the brass ring into the rounded end.  You should try this in the store to be sure you are getting the right sized cotter pin.  



Step 2

Slide the brass washer onto the cotter pin so that the cupped part is facing the tip of the pin.



Step 3
 
Slide the cotter pin through the hole in the drawer and put another brass washer on on the pin inside the drawer.

Step 4
 Bend the cotter pin sides flush with the back of the drawer.

Finished:
I'm hoping that the brass is unlacquered so that it ages a bit. 

I was originally worried that the brass cotter pin would be too soft to hold up to pulling a drawer over and over -- much like the bendable brads used to hold paper together.  But the brass is very strong.  It took some strength to bend it and make is flush with the drawer wall.  So, it passes the test for the little girls' room.

Which I'm finished with, by the way.  Well, mostly.  Got to add these ring pulls and do a few other minor things, and then I'll show you some pictures.

Thank you to Sarah for coming up with such a great-looking and inexpensive design!  

I mean where else can you find any pulls or knobs for less than $2 a pop?  (Just did the math, and they came out to $1.36 each!)

Hope you all have a nice weekend.  Any DIY projects planned? 

11 comments:

  1. Genius! I just went over to her blog... she has some great projects!

    I always have about 50 things in my head to finish over the weekend... maybe that's why nothing seems to get done. :) This weekend I want to get a grey wash on a mirror frame and then it should be finished! Hope you have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, you've just given me another project I want to do THIS weekend. Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic...may use something similar on a miniature...with those paper brad you mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool! I am really hard on my cabinet knobs though, so I don't think this idea would work long term for me unless it's a drawer I don't use!!! lol

    Thanks for the test run!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a brilliant idea, attractive and cost effective. Nice work!
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had pinned the same tutorial and was just killing time trying to pretend that I didn't want to switch out the hardware on our Ikea dresser in my bedroom:) Now I have no excuse, thanks for doing the homework!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. I spent so much time on Sarah's blog with it's amazing number of projects that I don't have the time or energy to do anything of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so great! I love easy, inexpensive, beautiful DIY. What an update! I am dying to see the big reveal for the girls' room...

    -Lane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant! Love it! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. yay! So glad that you tried it, and that it worked for you! Mine have held up great! :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading every comment.