Thursday, August 9, 2012

Little Girls' Room


Now that the Alameda Point Antique Faire is over, I'm diving head first into redoing Elizabeth and Miranda's room -- two spunky and totally adorable twin girls who will be six this fall.

I was tasked with finding them new beds, and these are the vintage frames I found for $15 each.  They were an unsightly shiny electric blue color, so I've been spending my time toning that down a bit to a light aqua.  I was really happy to find grey primer because it I think it's a nice mid-tone that bridges the gap between the darker blue and the lighter aqua.

I'm trying out the Gripper brand vs. my standard Zinnser BIN after Lane recommended it.   It's perfect for this application because of the spindles.  Zinnser is thin and would drip like crazy every time I ran a brush over the spindle, but Gripper is thick enough to stick without excessive dripping. I'm really happy with it so far.


Here are some of the patterns and colors going into their room.  Lots of blues -- aquas, turquoise, and navy.  And lots of warmer pinks, oranges and corals.  Aren't the animal silhouettes cute?  My business parnter, Wendy, made them, and I think they're perfect.

My next task will be to attempt to create two floor-to-ceiling bulletin boards which will go behind each bed.  They'll be covered with the burlap and trimmed with the navy and aqua ribbon.   Ever heard of homasote?  That's what I'm using for the bulletin board material.  Have you ever made a bulletin board from homasote? Any tips?




9 comments:

  1. I'm using some gray primer right now myself. Mine is glidden, wish I had known about the Gripper as it sounds great. I'm loving everything for the room! That trim is amazing!! Can't wait to see the whole room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip. I've never heard of that primer. I'm loving the plan for the room so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used homasote, my only issue is that is doesn't "heal" well like cork, making repinning in the same spot a bit more loose. Does that make sense. But other than that, it works awesome!

    The room is going to be cute! And thanks for the Primer tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh - this is going to be fabulous!! I can't wait to see more.

    Thanks for your sweet comment!

    PS - so sad I was out of town during the alameda antique faire. Next time you've got a booth, I'm there for sure. That orange sofa was fabulous and so happy it found the perfect home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh - this is going to be fabulous!! I can't wait to see more.

    Thanks for your sweet comment!

    PS - so sad I was out of town during the alameda antique faire. Next time you've got a booth, I'm there for sure. That orange sofa was fabulous and so happy it found the perfect home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like you've got your ducks in a row. It's going to be so cute. Can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fun! And thanks for the tips on the primer too - I'll have to keep that in mind. And I love the animal silouhettes and everything that you have going on for this room.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so great Camille! I can't wait to see the finished product. I love the way the blue beds look against that brown burlap--so cute and fresh! Wendy did a fantastic job on those adorable animal silhouettes--so cute. Those girls are going to be thrilled when they see all this...

    -Lane
    www.urbanorchardinteriors.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the color palette and the fabric mix, and in particular, the blue ribbon with the burlap. Looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading every comment.