Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Client Work: Twin Girls' Room Finished


Elizabeth and Miranda are two adorable twin girls who just entered the 1st grade.  For the past month, I've been working on redoing their entire room and it's finally finished!


Before



After






Before


After




The Details


I picked up the vintage bed frames for $15 bucks each and painted them the same color as the ceiling.
 Above each bed is a huge bulletin board I made from homasote, burlap, ribbon, and craft store letters. The girls can decorate them to their hearts' content without putting tape on the walls.

These Ikea Malm dressers are the same ones you see in the above photos.  I removed the stickers and painted the brown one to match the white one.  Then I added these DIY brass ring pulls (which I posted about here) to dress them up and echo the polka dot patterns in the room. 


 I snagged the bookcase from the garage and after searching with no luck for two inexpensive desks/vanities small enough to fit on this wall, I made them from salvaged cabinet doors which I painted and to which I added Ikea legs.  Above each desk is a photo of the girls -- done by the talented Lori Fuller of Lori Fuller Photography.  It adds a personal touch to the space. 

 The girl's mom, Rachel, wanted a way for them to orgainze their jewelry and hair accessories. They each got a panel of pegboard (from Michaels).  It was plain white, so I painted on some navy polka dots.


.
The Barbies got their own place to live in this shoe organizer hung behind the closet door.


 What kid doesn't try to shove stuff under their bed when cleaning?  Why not make it easy for them and provide the storage.  These are DIY chalkboard labels.  Simply paint printer labels with chalkboard paint.

There are three containers under each bed for tons of toy storage.  And as they grow, the contents can change from babies to...whatever it is that preteens and teens need to store. (My own twins are only three, so I have no idea!)


Last, we hung a low clothes bar from the original one so that the girls can reach their clothes without a stool -- and put them away!


If you come back in a few days, I'll give a resource list for everything and show you how to make the bulletin boards, how to tweak the DIY brass ring pulls so they don't snag on clothes, and a few other things.  (Update:  Click here for those tutorials.)


Elizabeth and Miranda have an organized room that can grow with them.  After completing two other areas of the house -- their brother's room, and their entry -- I'm off to work on something new.  This time it's an adorable apartment in the Marina neighborhood of San Francisco.  Melissa just moved here from D.C. and wants me to work on most of the rooms.  Should be fun!  I'll keep you posted. 

One last thing, my sweet husband recently bought me a DSLR camera.  You might know I've been paying lots of attention to photography.  I've been experimenting with settings and didn't realize the photos would be this blown-out until I uploaded them.  Looks like I've got some more learning to do!

28 comments:

  1. Love the new room, everything is perfect. Have fun learning your new camera:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job!! What lucky little girls to have such a beautiful space to call their own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks wonderful. How nice to have such a put together room! You are too clever with all the storage and display ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh... LOVE! Absolutely great job! Those headboards are awesome... along with everything else!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Camille, wonderful job! You are so resourceful and creative. I love how you think of all the details! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Camille, you have such a flair for casual, neat but pretty spaces, in which everything has its place and colorful order rules. Just charming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - what a great job. The room looks HUGE and I'm sure the girls love it. So grown up, and I love the budget friendly ideas you had (the polka dot boards and headboards are my favourites). Can't wait to see what else you do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Camille, you rock! That room looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Camille, this is an AMAZING transformation! I love the colors and patterns -- it will all grow with the girls. Love it!
    xo Heidi @ Decor & More

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks great Camille! What a fun room for twins. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha...didn't realize I was signed in under my husband's name:/ That comment above was from me, Camille! (Although I'm pretty sure Mitch would love this room too!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh brother...looks like Mitch's comment didn't make it after all...

    Let's start this over--
    Love the bulletin boards behind the bed and can't wait to see and learn more about this room!

    Okay crazy lady out now:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it Camille and I bet the girls love it too (and their Mom). It looks so nice and it's functional. And might I say I could see this in an issue of BHG too - it looks so nice! And very exciting about your new camera - I need to freshen up my skills and I've been thinking about getting a new camera and signing up for a class (although I've been saying that all year). Maybe I'll make it a goal for next year. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am utterly speechless! This is such a beautiful transformation and I second everyone who says you have thought of every detail. The storage, the bulletin boards, the dressers are not only beautiful but completely practical as well. I wish I could have seen their faces when they walked in their new room! The color combos look fresh and girly to but not so juvenile that the girls will be tired if them in a few years. Fantastic job again!

    Lane

    ReplyDelete
  15. aawww super great job camille! love the memoboard looking headboards, they are awesome and so multi functional

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a smart way to control all of those barbie's that seem to breed in the night. And as for the room - spectacular!! I LOVE the burlap boards behind their beds. And all of the polka dots - you are singing my song sister!! Awesome job Camille!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The girls (I'm the mom) were besides themselves when they first saw it. They kept running around screaming, "Did you see the desk? Did you see the beds? Did you see the pillows? etc etc etc" And they've been playing in their room so much more now. And keeping it clean!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Adorable! I am SO LUCKY to be the next client!!! WOO-HOOOOOOOOO. xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE love love the aqua on the beds and ceiling...and the boards above the beds!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You....are so good! Love how you always incorporate all the storage in kids room...I mean let's be real right! The colors...the boards over the bed...brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Whoa! What a transformation, Camille! All the little details have come together so perfectly in this room. The bedding, the bulletin boards, the painted beds... I'm so impressed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've got twin girls - and they would love this room! The giant bulletin boards are fabulous and the cute little desks!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a fabulous transformation, Camille! Wonderful colors. How clever is that barby organizer. Can't wait to see how you made those pin boards too. Lucky girls!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Super cute! The pin boards are my favorite! And I love an aqua and red color scheme ... so adorable and unisex, so works for boy/girl twins, too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. A dream place for two kids. Everything is arranged perfectly and equally on both sides. The painted beds are awesome and the room became more brighter than before.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am so impressed at how you transformed this room. Those bulletin boards really make the design! What a lucky family they are to have your help!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am so impressed at how you transformed this room. Those bulletin boards really make the design! What a lucky family they are to have your help!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just saw you on House of Turquoise and wanted to stop in to let you know that you did an amazing job! You have a great eye for detail!!! I bet your little ones love it :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading every comment.