Friday, June 1, 2012

Parker's Room Refresh

Before


After

Before 

After



Before

After

Before




 Before

 After




Storage and Details

Most of the toys moved to these clear plastic Ikea bins under the loft bed.  They're hidden by the curtains.

It was important to Parker's mom that he be able to see his toys so that he will play with them.  These bins rest on cup hooks screwed into the wood on the bed.  They can removed by simply lifting the off the cup hook, contents played with, cleaned up, and returned to the hooks.  I made the chalkboard labels by painting printer labels with chalkbord paint. 

 All of the toys that wouldn't fit in the plastic bins went in this thrifted vintage crate.  I attached the casters, gave it a white wash stripe around the top, and added the rope handles to the pre-existing holes.

I had a piece of pegboard cut to fit the bottom and used dozens of wood dowels to separate toys so that each toy has its own slot.  When the toys change, the pegs can move to accommodate them. 

Here is the slot where the Battleship game goes.  I painted the pegboard with chalkboard paint so that each slot can be labeled for easy clean-up.

I knocked-off the Urban Outfitters light-up marquee letter ($179) with red foam core, silver spray-painted poster board, and special LED poster lights that run on a battery, all for about $15.  The lamp is thrifted.  I painted the base and the shade.

Parker loves math and numbers, so I attached stenciled numbers to a bunch of clipboards and Mod-Podged over the top for durability.  Now he has an easy way to put up calendars and his school work.

We used a thrifted frame for the map of California which was free from AAA.  The Bygel rail system from Ikea helps Parker to organize his desk supplies.  Rachel already had the corkboard squares.  I doubled them up (they're never thick enough for a typical pushpin) and covered them with leftover fabric for additional places to pin keepsakes.

These stainless steel shelves ($10 each) are from Ikea's kitchen department.  A great way to make use of a small amount of vertical space and get clutter off of the desk and other surfaces.



While I don't have a boy, I strongly suspect that they all have these teensy pieces of ephemera lying around.  A fishbowl collects it all for easy clean-up -- and it can all be seen by little boys who are looking for some dice, a spare battery, or that small Lego that was missing. 


Because we kept all of the major pieces of furniture, I was able to freshen up and organize Parker's room for around $300!  I installed this room in three phases, one week at time.  Parker has been able to keep it cleaned and organized all of this time, which I know his mom is happy about.   And she's happy to report that he uses his desk now. 

Next up, his twin sisters' room!

   


34 comments:

  1. Super, super cute, Camille! So well put together, yet livable and doable in real life. That's mostly what I love about the rooms you put together.

    I like how there are a lot of different colors, but they aren't the typical primary shades. I think that keeps it looking classy and put together over time rather than kiddish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow Camille - i love it! those black and white stripe curtains MAKE it. You are darling and so is this room!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous room makeover! Love the striped curtains and the beautiful fish scale / scallop rug!

    Happy weekend, Camille!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Camille, I am just blown away by your talents! I want to ask you how you do all this! You are a true, true genius with mindblowing design talents!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really thought of every detail, Camille - and yes, boys all have teensy pieces of ephemera!!! Bendable monkey, lego man, a couple of pennies they found, a sticker - you name it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Camille, you did a wonderful job and the DIYs are so impressive. You're just cranking these projects out!! Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another impressive, inventive, charming space solution!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The details and the DIY projects are really awesome - you really achieved the look for less. What a great look for this little guy's room!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! That room looks incredible, you must be thrilled!! PS - make sure to pop by my blog to enter my Blurb giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What an amazing difference! Everything you added is so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cannot believe how creative you are! This has got to be the most beautiful yet practical room I've seen for a kid. I have got to employ some of those clutter control tricks for the boys--I literally can't walk in there right now their room is such a mess! Such a great transformation! I can't wait to see his sister's room...

    -Lane

    ReplyDelete
  12. That Parker is one lucky kid. getting to live in/with your great design AND all those fabulous windows.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Camille, you are so amazing! I can't wait until things settle down a bit for me and I can get some of your awesome ideas to sass up my casita!! Hope I see you during Melissa's visit!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Camille, I am SO impressed! I love this room redo and how organized and fresh it looks now! You have some serious design talent, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am in awe. Absolutely amazing the way you've balanced a need for storage with a cute "look". Now, will you be sharing a tutorial on how to make that marquee light? SO adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, this room looks awesome! Love all of your creative touches, the rug, striped curtains - so fun! Best yet is your last bit that he uses his desk - hooray!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You've outdone yourself, Camille. You've thought of every little detail. The striped curtains take the cake though. I think any little boy would love a little spot to hide out in like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous! You are amazing Camille! I am just about to reveal my boy's room soon. And yes, they have ephemera all over the place! The little "bits" they hoard is astounding!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an awesome, fresh, fun room, Camille, full of such smart details. Really, amazing! I love doubling up the cork tiles (you are right they are too thin!), numbered clipboards, rope handles, I could go on and on. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. 300.00....stop it! I know you aren't fibbing but that is unbelievable. There is a whole lot of bang in that room!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am in awe! Under $300? Girl that takes talent and you have it in spades! The details are amazing! Cant wait to see what you do next!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love his room! You did such a fabulous job with the redo!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats on the I heart Organizing feature, I'm so proud of you! Hurray for local bloggers:)

    Jessica
    stayathomeista.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Where did you get the rug? Is it super adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great ideas for my own little boy's room! Where is the rug from, I adore it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great ideas for my own little boy's room! I adore the rug, can you tell me where you got it?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Ladies,

    Thanks for commenting. The rug is the stamped scallop rug from Urban Outfitters. It appears that they only sell it in blue now. Still a really cute color and a steal for the price!
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very creative with the organizing tools. I love to organize. What great ideas to craft-lift! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love this, as I'm currently redoing my son's room. I believe that desk is from IKEA but can't find it online, as I searched the other day, do you have any idea of the name of the desk? Maybe it's been discontinued

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi PJ,

    Yes, I think the desk is from Ikea and that it has been discontinued. There is a similar red desk, though. Have you found that? It think it has more of a lacquered look.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is simply just so nice to look at! I have to admit. I've logged on three times to look at all of the details and I don't even have a boy to plan a room for! Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the idea of the create, great job I love the room! Great place to have all the toys as well. Trying to come up with an idea for my little boys room and legos and the clear bins might actually work so thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Camille... thanks for responding, yes I did see the lacquered red desk online, going to IKEA later today to check it out. Again, you should be proud of this fun and functional room!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading every comment.