Monday, February 27, 2012

Organizing in the Kitchen

via
Look closely on the left and right of the kitchen counters and you'll see a pretty display of utensils organized by type on round trays. I love the way this looks.


via
Here's the same idea from last year's House Beautiful Kitchen of the Year.  The idea is to keep a glass of spoons on the counter for quick stirring and tasting as you cook.


via
Another similar idea.


via
And another.  I love that there are no plastic utensils here (it's a goal to get rid of mine) and that they're separated by type.  Love the texture the tray provides here. 

via
The above photos have been floating around on Pinterest and have inspired me to do the following in my kitchen:


I love my glass Weck jars -- a gift from my aunt last summer.  They're wider than a typical Mason jar at the top and hold a bit more.   They make a pretty display of things I use frequently. 

This little collection of baby spoons is perfect for a quick scoop of sugar for tea or sprinkling on oatmeal.  And they're small enough to keep in the jar/canister if you want. 

 On another organizational note, the dried nuts and fruits I keep for quick kid snacks were threatening to take over my cabinet.  I was already using clothespins to keep them shut, but needed to organize them.

So I snagged this small basket from elsewhere in the house and layered them in.  With a permanent marker to label the contents, the clothespins work double duty to keep the bags closed and as a way to quickly spot what I want.  P.S.  You can see that I never painted the inside of my cabinets.  If we owned instead of rented, I probably would have painted the insides too!


Update: A great big thank you to the anonymous readers (Mom?, Sister?) who nominated and voted for this blog in Apartment Therapy's Best Home Design Blog annual contest. You can vote for and nominate your own favorite blogs. I've already nominated and voted for several of my must-reads.  To find mine, you'll have to scroll way down the bottom of the list. :)


 

16 comments:

  1. Love your labeled clothes pin idea! My pantry really needs some help!! It's embarrassing! Love the utensil holder ideas and now I'm itching for some round trays!
    Kelle
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea with the clothes pins! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it was Martha Stewart's kitchen that really got be second-guessing my plastic kitchen utensils--so I'm glad I'm not the only one who aims to get rid of hers.

    Your Weck jars are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the baby spoons in the jar!! I hide plastic utensils (only spatulas and the like) in a drawer. Just can't have those out!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love. I really need to do something about my pantry. And my oil collection on the counter. Maybe a round copper tray to corral. I will give the clothes pin idea a go round.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, love. I really need to do something about my pantry. And my oil collection on the counter. Maybe a round copper tray to corral. I will give the clothes pin idea a go round.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!! Lots of great stuff in this post! I love your baby spoons and those jars are awesome. Your photo really captures how interesting the glass looks. Rock on! :)
    xo Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  8. I spy a moss ball in a silver bowl in the first photo!
    I love the idea of mix matched spoons in a glass.
    All these photos are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - that first kitchen shot is so stylish and in a space that could have been really ugly - that takes talent! I have missed your blog posts - I'm slowly my working my way back into blogland. Off to vote for you now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Weck jars, too. I see them all over the place here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on being nominated!

    As for the glass ideas, i love them. My fav is the china cup as a scoop! Gorgeous! AND I love your collection of baby spoons. Also fabulous idea about using the clothespins to label what is inside each bag- brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the pictures of the silverware in glasses and on trays! Thanks for the inspiration. I use clothespins, too for snacks. Otherwise everything in the pantry would go stale!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the pictures of the silverware in glasses and trays! I use clothespins, too for snacks. Otherwise everything in the pantry would go stale! Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome inspiration! I have been using clothespins in the kitchen for snacks and stuff for a while now too and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm loving your idea using the clips to label things. Very twin mom friendly. I could see my self doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Também sou adepta a organização.


    Abraços

    Simara

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading every comment.